Haettu kohde: St. George of Samatya


    Kohde : St. George of Samatya

    Kohteen kielivariantti : Aya Yorgi

    Arkkitehti : Nemtze, Bedros

    Valm.vuosi : 1887 (nykyinen rakennus)

    Paikkakunta : Istanbul

    Maa : Turkey

    Rakennustyyli : Bysanttilainen tyyli

    Kohde kartalla (vihreä nuoli)

    Kuvaus :

    “…The large Armenian church of Surp Kevork…[is] known in Turkish as Sulu Manastîr, the Monastery with Water.
    Surp Kevork is built on the site if the ancient Byzantine church of the Virgin Peribleptos (‘Seeing All Around’), whose remains have recently been excavated in the foundations of the present church. The Peribleptos was founded c.1030 by Romanus III Argyrus, and it was one of the very few churches that was not converted into a mosque after the Turkish conquest. The tradition heretofore generally accepted was that the church remained in the hands of the Greeks until 1643, when it was given to the Armenians by Sultan Ibrahim under the influence of his favourite concubine, the Armenian giantess known as Şeker Para. This story however, appears to be fictitious, for we read in the recently published work of the Armenian traveler Simeon of Zamosc in Poland, who visited the city in 1608, that it was already at that date in the hands of the Armenians and was the cathedral church of the Armenian Patriarch. The Patriarchate remained there until 1641, when it was moved to its present location in Kumkapî, on the Marmara shore below the Third Hill. The present church of Surp Kevork is due to a complete rebuilding in the nineteenth century. The building in the church courtyard is the entrance to an ayazma, or holy well, from which Surp Kevork takes its Turkish name of Sulu Manastîr.”

    John Freely, The companion guide to Istanbul and around Marmara, Companion Guides, Woodbridge, 2000, pp. 193-194

    Ed. Adzhoa Makkonen



    Kuvat 1-1 yht. 1
    St. George of Samatya
    St. George of Samatya
    Kuva © Heikki Hanka